Saturday 29 June 2019

Once Upon a Time 2


I wrote the original fairy tale back in 2016 and more recently posted it as a TBT.  If you missed it, you can read it here

A Knight's Tale

The knight was not happy. He had been busy all day but, now that business was done, his thoughts turned to his lady wife, Rosamund. He loved her more than life itself but, "Odd's bodkins!" she could be a handful.

He blamed her Grandam for spoiling her. Rosamund was the first of her grandchildren and never lost her favoured place in her grandmother's heart to any of the dozen that followed. Her father had dared not discipline his child for fear of falling foul of the old lady, under whose roof they all lived. The knight heard tell that the child had once been upset by a harsh rebuke from her sire, causing her to wail loudly enough to be heard throughout the dwelling. Her Grandmama was so put out by the treatment of her beloved granddaughter that she had thrown the unfortunate man's dinner to the dogs.

The old lady had heartily approved of the knight as a suitor but he wondered what she would think of him now, spanking her darling grandchild as he does. But then, had he himself not baulked when Rosamund had asked him to spank her to add spice to their activities in the bedchamber? The thought of striking that soft, creamy, skin had appalled him then. Not so now. He'd found by happenstance that regular discipline centred her, keeping her calm and bringing harmony to their domain. Nowadays, the only heat in an argument was that emanating from Rosamund's soundly spanked hindquarters.




Her demeanour had been less than respectful this morning but he had given her grace as he was up very early and mornings did not suit her disposition. Thinking on it, he felt he'd been too indulgent and perhaps a reminder of their roles would not go amiss.

With a sigh, he wondered whether he'd also been too lenient two days since, when she had visited relatives in a distant settlement. He had told her to take his new, sleek, chariot, more comfortable than her own and with more horses to pull it. Rosamund had never felt confident around horses and as far as she was concerned the fewer she had to deal with the better. Against his wishes, she decided to take her own chariot, which was smaller and easier to manage. She also took along her servant, Siri, to help with the navigation. The outward journey passed uneventfully and she spent a happy few hours with her kin. Disaster struck on the way back when they encountered a fallen tree blocking their path. Siri came from a distant land and sometimes could not understand Rosamund's speech. Unfortunately, this was one such occasion, not helped by the panic in her voice. They became hopelessly lost until another traveller set them back on the right course.

She had become tearful as Henry scolded her, saying she wished she could do better but that part of her brain must be missing. She'd never had any sense of direction, barely knowing her left hand from her right. He'd found it endearing at first but annoying after fifty years. He was particularly vexed as he'd called upon the Wizard to cast a spell on the new chariot, such that with a simple incantation the carriage knew where to go. Nevertheless, he'd been softened by her distress and forbore to add further to her woes by chastising her.

"I should have seen to it that she didn't sit comfortably for a se'enight," he thought. It was too late for that now but he could still put a sting in her tail. Slapping his thigh with resolve, he called for his falconer to send his fastest hawk with a message to his wayward wife:






-oOo-


Poor Rosamund, it seems her knight intends to turn her bottom the same colour as her scarlet gown.


Rosie

Many thanks to Minelle for letting me use her wonderful new drawing and to Windy for the techy tutorial.



20 comments:

  1. Rosie,
    I got a huge kick out of reading both stories! Your writing is clever and sweet. It felt like reading a classy English historical. I love how the phrasing comes naturally to you, but is unfamiliar yet very comfortable to me here across the pond. Great job! I enjoyed this very much, Rosamund! (And nice rear-end, Minelle!) Hugs, Windy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed reading both tales, Windy. Thank you for taking time to leave a comment on the older post too. I have many historical novels on my book shelves and love that genre. I don't remember any of the fair ladies being spanked though!
      Thanks again for the techie tips.
      Rosie xx

      Delete
  2. Rosie,
    You and Minelle win the blogger prize this week. It is wonderfully refreshing to see your story, Rosie and your drawing, Minelle, in my reading list. Harry knows how to bring fiction to real life. More please, you two.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mere, it was a happy coincidence that Minelle and I both chose to write a post last week. I had been trawling the net for a suitable photo for my story and was bowled over when I saw that wonderful drawing of Minelle's. She had no hesitation in letting me use it and I think we all agree it was just perfect for the tale.
      Harry read the story before I posted it, laughing out loud when he recognised certain events!
      Rosie xx

      Delete
  3. Gosh Rosie, I’m flattered you used my drawing to illustrate your wonderful story! I love how you write! The words glow beautifully!
    Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that you let me use your brand new drawing, Minelle, it's just perfect for illustrating the tale.
      I'm glad you enjoyed the story.
      Rosie xx

      Delete
  4. Hi Rosie, this was an absolute treasure to read, I enjoyed this very much. You are a fantastic writer. What a wonderful histirical. The wonderful drawing from Minelle the icing on the cake.

    Definitely want to read more :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed my little tale, Roz. I was so lucky that Minelle posted her new drawing just when I was looking for a photo to illustrate my post.
      Thank you for your kind comment on my writing.
      Rosie xx

      Delete
  5. "A fine spanking tale and a fine illustration! Many thanks."

    So Sayeth Lady Ella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Lady Ella, I'm glad you liked my spanking tale. The fine illustration was just perfect, a most serendipitous timing of the two posts.
      Rosie xx

      Delete
  6. This is wonderful! I've been gone all week but visiting museums and such. Your story tied in perfectly and the picture is fabulous.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I'm glad you enjoyed the story and the lovely illustration. I enjoy visiting museums and art galleries. Harry and I were recently in Amsterdam, where there is a lot of scope for sucking up culture.
      Rosie xx

      Delete
  7. Lovely post, Rosie! ... your knight definitely loves you in red ... be it nails, attire or burning buns :>) ... and of course Minelle's drawing perfectly represents the tale :>)) ... hugs! ... nj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the story, NJ. Minelle's drawing was perfect for the setting.
      I've at last nursed my nails back to health. They're not as long as they used to be but they are back to a glossy red, which pleases my knight!
      Rosie xx

      Delete
  8. My busy weekend kept me away but I wanted to come by this morning to tell you I love this fairy tale very much. And I eagerly await part three! Hopefully with more such lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad you enjoyed my little tale, PK. You may have a long wait for another instalment though! I was very lucky to get Minelle’s drawing for the illustration.
      Rosie xx

      Delete
  9. This was a great read accompanied by a beautiful picture. I look forward to reading more about this knight and his wife, you definitely have a way with words Rosie.
    :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words about my writing, Laurel. I’m not sure I’ll have further tales to tell about this couple; Sir Henry has become adept at nipping trouble in the bud, according to Rosamund.
      Rosie xx

      Delete
  10. I love fairy tales and I love the illustration, too. :-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had fun writing the tale, Terps. The illustration was a big bonus!
      Rosie xx

      Delete