Friday 30 June 2017

Whilst the Cat's Away

Before I go any further, I must apologise for not responding to the comments on my last post. It was particularly remiss of me because a few people were intrigued by Harry's being out trampolining. He started way back in school. I don't remember at what point he became a qualified coach; he set up his own club in the late 70s and has been coaching in his so-called spare time ever since. Abby asked whether I ever went with him, which I did a few times early on. I learned all the basic stuff but when he said it was time for me to have a go at a somersault I was a scaredy cat and cried off. When gentle persuasion didn't work he lost patience and said I must either try or get off his trampoline. So I got off his trampoline and that was that! He was out again Wednesday night but, although he still has all the moves, his body is telling him it's time to stop and in a week's time he will shut up shop.

Back in the present, I recently went away on a fun-filled holiday with a bunch of girlfriends, leaving Harry and Bob, a builder friend, to kick-start the renovations to our kitchen. It is a big job, everything had to be stripped out; only the ceiling remained intact. The units had been in storage for some time as we'd been so busy and, in the meantime, I had changed my mind about a couple of things in the design. Harry and I went over the revised plan that, basically, entailed buying a new fridge/freezer and an extra length of worktop. The first hint of trouble came when Harry FaceTimed me from a builders' merchant, holding up a length of worktop that bore no resemblance to the one we had bought. He had taken a dislike to the original type and wanted to buy a different one, on which he wanted my opinion. He had three lengths already loaded for the checkout but, as my friends commented, at least he checked in with me first. There were a number of things he didn't check with me, not least that the new fridge/freezer he bought is about fifteen inches taller than the old freezer, leaving no room for the bridging cabinet that was supposed to go above it. There were several compromises to be made on my return, which mostly amounted to sucking up the changes because what was done was done. I'm glad to report that I managed to accept it all with good grace and no bottom-warming was involved in the process. There was the traditional homecoming reconnection but that was for fun, except for the part where Harry tried out a newly acquired kitchen utensil. Ouch!

My angelic disposition lasted only until three days later, when we went back to the builders' merchant for paint and tiles. I got distracted by a display of outdoor paint that I wanted for refurbishing our garden arbour and got into trouble for not listening to what Harry said to me. Worse was to come at our next stop, a furniture showroom, where Harry wanted to look for a new dining table and chairs. I wanted to wait until I had decorated the dining room, my next project but one, but that idea was met with a very firm "No." I let my displeasure show with a couple of snarky remarks and Harry warned that I was sailing close to the wind, giving me a hard swat for good measure. There was no-one else around and I hoped there were no security cameras in operation! The new furniture arrives next week.

The rest of the shopping trip passed uneventfully but in the evening, as Harry handed me a glass of Champagne, he told me to note its colour. It was pink, a rather dark shade of pink, and I knew my bottom would be stinging before bedtime.

Now that we are both back at work the renovation is proceeding more slowly, but we are getting there. I'm aiming to catch up with some blog reading this weekend; I've missed my Blogland friends during the last couple of weeks.

I also need to catch up on three episodes of Poldark before Sunday evening. Last night I watched the very first episode of Outlander, which has at last come to non-subscription TV in the UK.

If only there were more than 24 hours in a day!


Rosie

20 comments:

  1. Rosie,
    Just home from a morning of errands to find your post! Know that all ttwd wives have been right there in the aisle of a hardware store with you. A public swat is something to avoid and then, smile about. Now Poldark is an entirely different matter. Those windswept Cornish cliffs and a good looking man on his horse......... ahhhhhhh!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping the Cornish cliffs won't be windswept this weekend as we're swapping work on our kitchen for work on the Cornish cottage. I doubt I'll see that handsome man on his horse, more's the pity!
      Rosie xx

      Delete
  2. I read very closely today, Rosie. We are off appliance shopping next week, and I would like to avoid any disagreements. Since my refrigerator is 33 years old, I would probably be excited for a large ice chest. Sam usually lets me choose what I want for furniture and appliances. He just drives me crazy because he can repair just about anything! I have been praying for the demise of that fridge for 15 years.

    Your kitchen sounds lovely. Huge, in fact. I had champagne yesterday to celebrate a very special occasion. Yummy!

    Haven't ever watched Poldark, but perhaps should put it on my roster.

    Hugs Across the Pond,
    Ella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ella, our kitchen is far from huge, the only huge thing about it is that darned fridge/freezer! Our old fridge was 35 years old and on its last legs. I was sorry to see it go, it was the last reminder of our first house.
      Good luck with the appliance shopping!
      Do have a look at Poldark, I'm hooked on it.
      Rosie xx

      Delete
  3. Glad to see you here! Did the color of your bottom match the Champagne color? Hmmmm I too have had many public swats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't do a colour match as it was bedtime but I can tell you I slept like a baby that night! I was shocked to get a smack in a public place, Harry never ceases to surprise me!
      Rosie xx

      Delete
  4. Glad you're home safe and sound from your travels. My hubby once redid our living room while I was away and I had no idea he was doing it! He did know I hated the way it had looked before so ANYTHING was an improvement.

    Watch out for those kitchen utensils! And maybe be sure there is only white wine around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a great time away but I don't think I'll let Harry loose on the house next time! We're still trying to work around the changes he made from my plan. The silver lining is that I now have a bigger cooker.

      I couldn't give up the lovely Bordeaux red wines but I'll have to watch my P's and Q's when there's a bottle of one of those open!

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  5. Renovations can be so trying. Still, good that you'll be getting a new kitchen and dining space. Maybe some soft cushion dining chairs so you wont have to sit on hard ones in case of future bottom-warming episodes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Fondles. The new dining chairs are well-upholstered but I wanted plain wooden chairs in the kitchen. Harry insisted on having chairs with built-in seat pads, though. Maybe he was thinking of those future bottom-warming episodes too!
      Rosie xx

      Delete
  6. Good to hear your renovations are going smoothly Rosie. Public swats can be very embarrassing, Bear is always quick to give them to me whilst out and about. Hope your bottom didn't match your champagne unless in a fun way.
    Outlander is great. My daughter put me onto it on Netflix, love it. Can't get into the books though. Haven't watched Poldark, must google it.
    Hugs Lindy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say the renovations are going smoothly, Lindy, we're still trying to re-arrange the layout, but I'm managing to keep my cool - just!

      Outlander looks promising. Take a look at Poldark if you can get it. I may be sticking my neck out here, but Ross Poldark is better looking than Jamie in my opinion. He doesn't spank though!

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  7. Hi Rosie, it's great to hear from you :) Glad you had a wonderful time away and that the only bottom warming on your return was of the fun kind. Good on you for how you handled the changes made during your absense. Interesting to read about Harry's trampolining.

    I swear rennovations are the cause of a lot of domestic dis-harmony and can be stressful. Glad yours seem to be going relatively smoothly. Good luck with the rest!

    Kitchen utensils make beastly implements lol and there's nothing like a public swat to get your attention!

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry is a benign dictator, so I'm always surprised when he digs his heels in and lays down the law! That swat certainly got my attention; I was speechless. I hope it's not the first of many!

      I hope you and Rick are doing well, all the way over there in NZ. I have friends on the north island and they're feeling the chill of winter.
      Rosie xx

      Delete
  8. Hi Rosie! :) You sure are a brave one, going off as your loving fella did the renovations! Sounds like you had a wonderful reconnection, and with a new kitchen utensil too! WHOA! OW! Lol!

    You were awfully good about the table set. I'm not sure that I could have left that alone too well. Your Harry is a bold one, with a swat in the store. Rob does the very same thing- sheesh! I am always horrified, but there is no one around, and we both crack up laughing usually.

    May you enjoy your new renovations, a nice pink bottom from a GG spanking and a nice pink glass of mighty fine champagne! Many hugs,

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie,
      I was well spatulated with that stingy utensil! Harry has taken a liking to it but I've managed to get it back in the kitchen, at least for the time being.

      The dining suite is due for delivery this afternoon. It's beautiful but the timing is wrong, I would have liked to decorate first and have the carpet cleaned. I'll have to make sure the new set is well covered when I'm painting! I have all the tester pots lined up.

      We're off to Cornwall for a long weekend, so there won't be any spanking but there will be Champagne!

      Rosie xx

      Delete
  9. Rosie,

    Happy you had a wonderful time with friends.

    A glass of Champagne, he told me to note its colour - had me smiling.

    I've had many of those public swats.

    I'm loving Poldark and just about to settle down to watch tonight's episode. Forgot Outlander was on.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ronnie,

      I had a great time with girlfriends, can't wait to do it again. Not so sure I'd let Harry loose on the house again though!

      I get a lot of swats at home but a smack in public was a new experience for me - not one I'm anxious to be repeated.

      Ahh, Poldark! Those smouldering looks - mmmm! I've never read the books but I hope Warleggan gets his comeuppance at some point, along with his ghastly wife.

      Hope you enjoyed your trip to Spain

      Rosie xx



      Delete
  10. happy renovating. :-) have missed everyone here as it is hard to read with children about during the summer but trying to catch up a little this morning while they sleep in. :-) Big hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not alone with the catching up, Terps, it seems to be my default position at the moment. Enjoy the summer with the children, it will go by in a flash.
      Rosie xx

      Delete