Saturday 30 April 2016

That's Life

One of the excuses I made for not starting my own blog was that my life is so uneventful I'd have nothing to blog about. I like uneventful, it doesn't mean boring, we're always busy but there's little drama, not much to rock our steady little boat.

A few weeks ago we had what seemed like a force nine gale blowing, when anything that could go wrong did. I won't bore you with all the gory details, it would take all day, but these were some of the things that were sent to try us:




Harry was ill. He went to the doctor's without any prompting and took four days off work. 

No sooner had he recovered than I got an ear infection in both ears. The antibiotics upset my stomach for a whole week. Bleugh!

We had to abandon a day trip to France when we got a puncture half way to the rail terminal. Harry's car is fitted with run flat tyres. It took over two hours for the breakdown service to source and fit a replacement; I suppose we couldn't expect better at 5.30am.

Harry filled my car with petrol - it runs on diesel. It was an expensive mistake, but no harm done. He took it badly though.

Our business email accounts were compromised and blocked. We didn't realise quite how much we relied on email to interact with our clients and suppliers until we lost the facility.

It was a really frustrating time but we kept our lifejackets on and weathered the storm; nobody died.



We're in the middle of a happy event right now; our younger daughter came home for a week's visit a few days ago. She lives what seems like a million miles away on another continent, so we don't see her often. There's never a dull moment when she's around and we miss her sorely when she goes back. She's a loving, caring, young woman but, at the same time, fiercely independent. She sent me this a while ago and it suits her to a tee:





Harry was on airport duty on the morning of her arrival and we were both awake early. I was sitting on the side of the bed reading my iPad, when he sat down beside me with a pensive look on his face. I told him I'd be off to the bathroom in a minute, I was just checking my emails. He smiled and said, "No, that's not it. You're going across my knee but I can't decide whether to do it now or wait until you've showered and put on your body lotion." I told him that was really mean and asked why I was getting spanked anyway, I'd been over his lap only the day before. He said we had to put one in the bank and it would have to last a while; with Daughter 2 around we didn't know when we'd have another chance. With that, he sauntered off, so it didn't take much guesswork to know what he'd decided. It wasn't a hard spanking, mostly fun, but the wooden paddle put in a brief appearance.

Our elder daughter lives a five hour drive away so we don't see her very often either - at least she lives in the same country as we do. She called to ask if she could stay with us one night, between business meetings in two towns not too far from us. Harry and I were ecstatic to have both daughters under our roof for the first time in many years. They hadn't seen each other for nearly four years so, despite being Facebook friends, there was a lot of catching up to do.

Daughter 2 is away for a couple of days, staying with a friend, so I'm expecting a "happy weekend" meeting later. Those have become something of a fixture recently, not so much a reminder to be good as a reconnection at the end of the working week.

D2 leaves on Tuesday, then we'll really be back to uneventful and that's okay with us.


Rosie 



16 comments:

  1. You sound like me - I know some people feed on drama and seem to thrive on it. Not me, steady and calm are what I crave, and no it doesn't seem dull. So sorry for the storm you all haven't been able to avoid and I'm glad you are doing better now.

    I love having both my kids home at the same time - never happens more than twice a year, but I still love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was over six years since we'd had them both at home at the same time and four since they'd seen each other, so it was special for us all. D2 goes back tomorrow, I'll be crying buckets as soon as the door closes behind her.

      Delete
  2. Sorry that your calm was interrupted...life does have a way of doing that at times. I so love when all my kiddos are back and under the same (my) roof again...never happens enough....and the icing on the cake is grands! Love the idea of "happy weekend meeting"...
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No sign of grands here yet, glad you had a good time with yours. The happy weekend meetings look as though they're here to stay, a good start to some 'us' time.
      Rosie xx

      Delete
  3. Rosie,
    And you thought you would have little to write about. Things sound very busy on your side of the pond. Love your "happy weekend meetings".
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are still busy but the frustrating times are behind us, we hope (fingers crossed). D2 is off tomorrow so it will be very quiet around here. Maybe there'll be a 'just because' as some consolation.
      Rosie

      Delete
  4. Good gravy, Rosie...sounds as if you two had a run of bad luck! Hope it's all behind you now. So lovely to have your girls home even if it's just for a short visit. Hope you get to retry your day trip to France soon.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful to have both girls home at the same time, but all too short. We managed to get to France another day and, at the end of this week, we're flying off for a week in the sun.
      Rosie xx

      Delete
  5. Hi Rosie that's lovely having both girls home at once. You and Harry will have to have a bit of playtime when they have gone, make up for missing them!
    love Jan, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Jan, playtime is definitely on the agenda! I hope you're still having some fun in the Rose household.
      Rosie xx

      Delete
  6. Rosie sorry you were caught in a storm. Enjoy your daughters visits, always nice having family around. Hopefully your luck is better from now on.
    Hugs Lindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lindy. I saw you've had a rough time recently, I hope things are better for you too.
      Rosie xx

      Delete
  7. Rosie,
    It is fun to have both kids over, and I enjoy it, too. But sometimes I just pray for a weekend with just Sam and I.

    I love that Harry thought of banking a spanking. And it even rhymes!

    Hugs Across the Pond,
    Ella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grr! I always seem to do this! The comment below is for you, Ella.
      Rosie xx

      Delete
  8. Harry is unrecogniseable from the hesitant spanker of three years ago. I never know what he's going to come up with next. Keeps me on my toes!
    I hope you had a good weekend, whether just the two of you or not.
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great post Rosie. So nice that you had both girls home, I understand that wonderful feeling when everyone is under the same roof.
    It always seems that we can go on for weeks or even months with not too much happening and then suddenly BOOM, it all hits at once and we have to juggle far too many things. Most of yours sounded like fun though which is always good.
    I love the 'banking a spanking'!

    ReplyDelete